Friday, October 30, 2009

The Needham Landfill; What a Dump!

So a few weeks ago. Wait. So a few MONTHS ago (jesus!) I accompanied the Bones and H&K to the town dump. It was far less impressive than I was hoping. What was I hoping for, exactly? I don't know....I guess I was imagining a giant mound of garbage, thousands of feet high, and some sort of cliff or ledge from which one hurled garbage out into the abyss.

It was more like a parking lot with like 6 different colored dumpsters. Shit, there weren't even any diseased seagulls around. What a gyp.

Anyway, there is this part where people leave old stuff they don't want any more, and I scored a Moka.

I did not know it was called a "Moka" until two days ago, when I finally dusted it off and tried using it. Unsure of the correct technique/procedure, I googled "Italian stovetop espresso maker," and that wikipedia entry popped up, answering any and all questions I could possibly ever have regarding said instrument of caffeination.

It worked well. Even though I lost the rubber gasket which came with it (the thing would have needed replacing anyway), a basic 1.5 inch tri-clover gasket from the brewery fit it just fine, and the thing worked with minimal leakage.


It tasted pretty much like percolator coffee. Which makes sense as this is in no way an espresso machine but really just a fancy Italian percolator. Unfortunately it didn't make the trademark crema I was hoping for, but it was a fun change all the same. There are now three different weird coffee making things in my arsenal, and for that, I shall not want for caffeine.

2 comments:

KGBrews said...

Glad that thing works...I seem them around from time to time and almost got you a new one.

Circa 1895 said...

Nice! It does work!