Sunday, October 12, 2008

Jonny Greenwood - Stout

Right now I am finishing up on a stout brew day, and listening to the Bodysong soundtrack by Jonny Greenwood. It is typically twisted and crazy...and it's somehow just perfect. Could be my hangover, or general lack of attention span, I'm not entirely sure. Right now it's on that jazzed up track that sounds like something from Coltrane, mid-sixties era. Awesome. Some of these songs ended up as part of Greenwood's score for There Will Be Blood as well. But, I digest...

Anyway, about this beer. I was thinking for about a month that I needed to try a stout again. It has been years since I made one, and I've never been super stoked with my past results. So I considered taking myself to school, so to speak, by brewing your basic Irish Dry Stout. You know the kind; Pale Malt, Flaked Barley, and Roasted Barley. Simple and to the point. BUT: then I started thinking about all the 2008 hops I just got in the mail and then also remembered "Oh yea, I generally enjoy more than 4% alcohol in my beers, especially during the freaking winter." The decision made itself.

Behold, your average kick-awesome American Stout (partially inspired by the Sierra Nevada stout)

7# Pale Malt (U.K.)
1.5# Munich Malt
.75# Cara-Munich I
.5# Flaked Barley
.5# Roasted Barley
.5# Black Malt

Pacific Gems were used for the bittering charge, shooting for 44 IBUs
1.5 oz Amarillo - 10 mins
1 oz Centennial -knock out

Fermenting with my old favorite, Wyeast 1272. God, 1272, I missed you so! I swear those belgian girls over the summer meant nothing to me! NOTHING, I SAY!

________________________________

Tomorrow is Columbus day. Even though Cristobal Colon was a dick, I am still going to enjoy the day off. I think pumpkin soup will be on the agenda...

-Wrence

No comments: