Saturday, August 1, 2009

Your Mother Was a Hamster

This post is probably going to be boring, as I begin typing without knowing what exactly I'm going to type about; the feeling is akin to buying a scratch-off lottery ticket, you might actually win some money, but most likely the ticket will be a crumpled up piece of garbage on the floor of your car for the next 3 weeks until you get the free cleaning with your next oil change at the Spring Garden Car Wash. And so:

The last week was another cluster-fuck at the brewery. In case you don't know what a cluster-fuck is, it's basically a junk-show on crystal meth. We are still playing catch-up, brewing like crazy: this week we got in another 14 brews (as opposed to our normal 10 brews). Again, it's just me and one other guy doing all this. Oh yea, we also filtered 7 batches during this same time period. Not to complain or anything, but I have woken up each morning so sore that I can barely facebook my email internets.

Normally Friday is our slow day, instead of brewing we just clean up, and usually it's a 6 or 7 hour day (to make up for all the 9 hour days earlier in the week). Oh, but not this friday - we brewed and filtered again. Hotter than satan's crotch in a wool jock strap. Luckily I got to stay late last night breaking down the filters and reloading them for Monday's filtrations. Nothing like working a brutal 10-hour shift to wind the week down.

When I finally got home, around 8pm, carrying a couple cases of beer, my sopping wet work clothes in a bag, and my pre-prepared dinner from Whole Foods, I noticed the apartment was really warm. Baking, in fact. Our building is about 100 years old and made completely of brick. It once was a furniture factory and as such has few windows, so they central aired the hell out of the place. My air conditioning was busted. I did what anyone would do in my situation: freaked out momentarily, and then resigned myself to fate, took a cold bath, and got cross-eyed drunk in my underwear. A few hours later the a.c. sort of fixed itself. Weird.

So this weekend is my first actual 2 days away from the brewery since....early July. See past updates for my last couple weekend re-caps - they all involved work of some kind. I plan on doing a whole lot of nothing for the next 48 hours. There are just two things on my agenda: pick up a CO2 cylinder to complete my keg-readiness for Vermont*, and get my dimensions professionally measurisized for Pink's wedding uniform**. The likelyhood that I get even those tasks accomplished is meek, to say the least.

I take heart that today is the first day of August and soon enough the heat will begin to subside, work may eventually become tolerable again, and the possibility of me cooking and/or brewing something in my own home becomes more and more palpable.

Enjoy your August, folks!

-Wrence

*August 12-15 will see me in my beloved state of Vermont for this year's DAMO-FEST
**August 31 will see me in Portland Oregon for Pink's wedding

1 comment:

Ry said...

dude...cross-eyed drunk got me for some reason.

i feel your pain...hopefully it gets better for you soon.