Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Heat Wave Sweatfest Clusterfuck `08

So I managed to crank out that Pale Ale on Friday night, finising up just in time for Diesel Damien, who showed up at my place around 11pm straight outta Hartford, with his sister Nicky in tow, whom I hadn't seen in probably 5 or 10 years. At this point, the weather was still cool; we enjoyed a mellow night with beers and smoked Hungarian sausage. Then the next morning, this whole heat business started. Saturday Swimming at Walden Pond was a godsend, even though it was a complete clusterfuck. I mean it, it was sincerely crowded; the place was lousy with Redneck picknickers, Yuppies pushing their babies in those "mountain bike-style" baby pusher alongers, old people floating in kayacks but unable to row any measurable distance under their own power. By the time we got home from that it must have been 97 degrees (the exact temperature of my balls) but we still stopped at Whole Foods for mangeables, undaunted in our quest to cook an awesome meal in this hellish weather. I made cevice; normally I just use shrimp but the local scallops they had at the store looked too good to pass up, so I used some of them as well, and it came out great. Dry-aged Ribye steaks and lamb chops were the other protiens, cooked on a sweet little Weber model I'd never seen before. The venue was Diesel's cousin's awesome's pad in Somerville, just a hop skip & a jump from my place (in fact, that is just how I got home later that night). Inexplicably, it seemed to only get hotter as the night progressed; our only recourse was to drink beer. A lot of beer. We pretty much floated Tom's house in it down Spring Hill. After 8 hours of that I basically felt like the condensation-coated bottle of Sierra Summer Lager in Nicky's hand, which she had wrapped in a paper towel to keep from completely soaking herself (which we all pretty much did anyway). When I finally stumbled home that night I gave in and threw the old reliable AC unit into my bedroom window. The Pale Ale from the night before, which had spent its first 20 hours of fermentation at a glorious 72 degrees, was now actually too warm for the little thermo strip to even register. It was frightening. The yeast was Wyeast 1272, with which I've gone a little warm before, but this was totally crazy-time. Anyway, that shit got hauled up to my room before you could say "Goodnight, Gena." The following few days were alternating blurs of sweat, air-conditioning, and hallucinogenic napping episodes; all the while battling to keep my fermenter at a somewhat reasonable temperature. Oh well, the krausen has long died down and it seems to be finishing up now, just as the weather starts to mellow back out (thanks for nothing, God). All there is to do now is dry-hop the shit out of it and hope for the best. _____________ Last night the Greeks & I went out, in an effort to escape our swampy apartment. This place is so freaking bad-assed I don't even know how to put it into words! We crushed about a hundred of those ice cold 22 ouncer Sapporos, in addition to my first ever Sho Chu, a Japanese distilled spirit made from rice & barley (kind of a distilled sake, I guess), which was awesome served on the rocks. I only wish I could have put my entire body on the rocks at that point and it would have been the perfect night. Oh, and I ate my weight in sushi. It was killer. -'Wrence

No comments: