Friday, June 6, 2008

A Tale of Two Brews

As some of the previous posts have alluded to, there has been a palpable increase of hangingoutitude around my house; between a few little parties and lots of driveway beer-having, we have somehow managed to plow through almost 10 gallons of beer in the last three weeks. This means I must make more.

So, Monday night, with a few of the Greeks assisting, I brewed up a nice little wheat beer:

4# Pilsner (Weyerman's)
3# Wheat malt
1# Munich malt

.25 oz Summit flowers - 60min
1 oz Hallertau flowers (U.S.) -knockout

Fermented with Wyeast 1272
Gravity was 1.045 - just right where I wanted her.

This beer is already finished up with primary and will be racked tonight to make room for the following Pale Ale I am cooking up:

5# 2-rowed malt (U.S.)
4.5# 2-rowed malt (U.K.)
.75# Cara-foam (dextrine malt)

1 oz Sterling flowers - 60 mins
1.5 oz Sterling flowers -knockout
1 oz Sterling flowers - dry hop

the hop schedule may be adjusted on the fly as I see fit. Looking for about 30-40 IBUs for this brew, and a good nose. I've never used the Sterlings before so I am psyched for this beer to give me a good sense of if they're worth a damn or not. Anyway, all I've read on them has been positive.

Both beers were designed for quick conditioning; they will go right to bottles as soon as possible, and with any luck we'll be crushing these guys in a month or so.

Peace

-'Wrence

(post-script: that's right, I'm calling it "2-rowed" malt instead of "2-row" now. Read up on Barley and you'll be doing the same. It's totally geeked out awesome)

No comments: