Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Our Amazing World, (science-style)

This will be the first of a new regular column here at Bros11 (no, it won't) dealing with topics in current science (don't worry, it won't).

I'm sure we've all heard much about this new particle accelerator thingee all those physicists have built out in Europe somewhere, and to be fair it IS realy impressive, but the name....come ON, guys: the name needs some work.

Behold, the Large Hadron Collider

One would think, given the truly unbelievable amount of sheer brain power it must have taken to conceive of, design, build, and operate such an amazing piece of equipment, that they could have come up with something, ANYTHING more creative than that. Those guys must have just burned out that part of their brains while spending so many years studying freakin bosons or leptons or whatever.

This reminds me of some other names I've come across over the last year or so that have given me a laugh.

These are all real:

The Very Long Baseline Array (at which they engage in "very long baseline interferometry" -no joke)
also, I came across something called, inexplicably: The Large Millimeter Telescope -oh, it's a LARGE millimeter....I get it now.

My only guess is that eventually we will see such marvels as the "Wicked Tall Ladder to the Moon" and the "Freakin Tiny-Ass Robots "

Keep it coming, science!
________________

Anway, enough of that crap.

Last night, I dry-hopped my latest pale ale; I plan to bottle it Sunday. Also I fed my 1056 starter that I am building up for the new Mead (a Cyser, specifically), which I also hope to put together Sunday. I just have to get that black beer out of the fermenter first, but it should be ready for secondary by then anyway. Also, I just came back from the farmer's market (gov't center) where I bought about 4 pounds of locally-grown peaches & nectarines, upon which I'm going to age the new mead. Thirsty?

-Wrence

No comments: