Friday, November 7, 2008

Embarrassing Life Moment #5239

So my company held a blood drive today. I have never donated blood before, so I thought it would be cool to pop my cherry on the last day of my job (see below). The only problem was that everyone wanted to take me out for drinks last night.

In my defense, I tried to get people to go out tonight instead, but no one could do that. Also in my defense, I only had like 4 beers or so, and when those shots went around, I politely declined. See, I also had a meeting with my class online at 9. I ended up home around 8.30 and I thought I was in good shape. I had some food & a pint of water & was asleep at 11.

So anyway, today, after I pass the screening & they have me on the table, the nurse gets the needle into a vein just fine. But then she gets this sort of concerned look on her face. She fiddles with the needle a bit. She asks me if I'm ok. Yes. She asks me if she is hurting me as she fiddles with the needle more. No. Then she gets the head nurse. They put a blood pressure cuff on my arm and give it a few pumps.

Me: "Ahem....uh, what exactly is the issue here?"
Head Nurse: "You aren't bleeding."

It turns out I was too de-hydrated to bleed properly. At least, that's what they say. Personally, I think it's more likely that I am just INVINCIBLE.

So now I'm on a mission to rehydrate and go find a place to let a pint of blood sometime in the next week or so. Will keep you posted.

-
Wrence

No comments: