Thursday, August 14, 2008

RADIOHEAD, Mansfield MA, 13 August 2008


Great show....I was quite close to the stage, as you can see from the above pic, although way off to one side. But it still felt like I was standing on the stage watching the show, interesting. Not the closest I've ever been, but definitely different than staring up at the boys from the pit. RyToy was about 5 or 6 rows right behind me, so we were treated to the fruits of my 3+ hours of excruciating mouse-clicks and head-bashing-into-monitor which is the Radiohead W.A.S.T.E. ticketing process. But so worth it for the kick-awesome seatage.

RyToy & I arrived together, around 7:30. Met up with Diesel & Liz, then the Bones and his girl, as well as a few highschool friends whom I hadn't seen in years. A few brews were consumed parking lot style before the show. Like almost all Radiohead concerts I have attended, I unfortunatley missed another chance to see a great opening band just coming into its own: Grizzly Bear

Here is a list of other bands that I have "seen" open for Radiohead over the years, and what I was doing while they played their set:

The Beta Band - watched their set from the pit
Kid Koala - watched the set from the pit
Four Tet (3 shows!) - was getting drunk in a nearby bar (3 shows!)
Steve Malkmus & The Jicks (2 shows) - was drinking in a parking lot for one, caught the other from the pit
Asian Dub Foundation - getting my ass completely slammed by thousands of angry French fans in the pit (the most intense concert experience of my life, to date)
Willy Mason (2 shows) - I don't even remember hearing this chap's name mentioned at the shows (sorry, Willy!)

Anway, last night I shot a few pics with my phone (see above) and a few crappy videos as well. I was going to post one, but this video from youtube is freakin sweet. This is Reckoner, the opening song....I can almost see myself standing there off to Ed's right.

-Wrence

No comments: