Monday, May 19, 2008

Big Brown



So, I named this brew kinda out of nowhere after throwing the 'pe together in AmateurMash, which happened a day before Big Brown won the second leg of the Triple Crown. If I had been thinking more clearly, I may have decided to commemorate the occasion in a more suitable fashion. If Big brown DOES go on to take home the first triple Crown in 30 years just a week before this bitch will be drinkable, I may have to retroactively change the name. That said, for the time being I give you I Think It's Brown: An Ale.

'wrence came over for the assist, this after a weekend full of moving heavy shit for him and partying like a Belushi for me...so a nice calm relaxing brewday was sorely needed for both parties I suppose. The 'pe remained basically the same as the one posted below, with a few small changes. I only used 1/4 pound of Chocolate Malt...I was only really using it for color anyway and I think a full half pound would have made it a bit darker than what I was going for. As far as the hoppage goes, I used an ounce of the Glaciers for the full boil and an ounce of Vanguards for 15 minutes as an aroma addition.

The brewday was rather peaceful as far as my brewdays go. That is not to say that there wasn't plenty of mayhem, it's just that it was a bit more contained than usual. I spilled shit every time there was shit to be spilled and I yet again forgot to take a gravity reading...this despite the Gravity Police being there in person.

As far as what we did while there wasn't doughing in, sparging, Vorlaufing, decocting, boiling, hopping, cooling, racking, and pitching to be done...how does this look? 'wrence was kind enough to bring drinkables over for the purpose of fully enjoying our leisure in the proper fashion. We started off, however, by splitting one of my most recent creations "Give Me My Money Back" Pale Ale. A clean, well-balanced pale ale that is closer to the dark side of the style...lovibondally speaking. 'wrence declared it a success and advised that I send it in for a judging, at least to get some feedback.

Next we sampled a 750ml bottle of 'wrence's Honey Wine (don't call it a mead). This baby was nice. I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I wasn't rocking about a 65 on the hangy index. Nice and light bodied with a good floral nose and a just sweet enough finish, it was tasty and could definitely prove to be quite the bad-decision inducer under the right circumstances.

The last brew we tried was the Flanders Oud Bruin by Leifmans (I may be wrong on the exact name here)...this was a nice sweet, somewhat tart/sour red ale with noticeable funk contributed by the Brett used in secondary ('wrence told me that). I could definitely see myself enjoying this style more and more with repeated exposure..and I would imagine that the Liefman's would rank near the top.

As far as mangibles, we hit up the L Street Diner down the block for some pretty solid pie and a buffalo tenders...my ass is still on fire from those for the record.

All in all a solid brewday...and my hydrometer remained out of harm's way throughout. I am psyched to get this little guy into bottles, down my throat, and back into the hydrologic cycle pronto.

&Ry

3 comments:

KGBrews said...

nice carboy holder...

Anonymous said...

Way to drop a "hydrologic cycle" reference in there bro!

Anonymous said...

Also: I'd like it stated on the record that my hangy index was very similar to yours, and I had only just finished my "morning" coffee when we opened that bottle of mead....baby