Thursday, May 1, 2008

Trivia Night in Southie

Spent Wednesday night this week having dinner, beer-having, and playing barroom trivia at this place. It has a high propensity for douchebaggery, especially on the weekends, but the trivia crowd tends to be a bit more chill. I went with my girlfriend Angie, her sister and her sister's new/old boyfriend. The Sox were on so people were watching that and the Celtics were playing game 5 against the Hawks as well, so there were plenty of people there for that. We had to wait a bit for a table but once we did I was quite pleased when I realized that in my immediate field of vision were no less than 11 televisions, all tuned to the same thing. I felt kinda like a fly or something.




Anyway, while we were waiting for a table, a few Coors Light girls who were walking around gave us free beers...all we had to do was take a picture. I guess I felt a little self-conscious since they appeared to be in their underwear and I was fully dressed. I am not usually a fan of fermented corn syrup, but when in Rome I suppose. Particularly discomforting about Coors Light is its attempt to insult my intelligence with it's label that changes colors. The label itself specifically says "When the mountains turn blue, your beer is as cold as the Rockies."


I mean, I get what they're saying...when the label turns blue your beer is cold. I am not silly enough to think that the label knows exactly what the temperature in the Rockies is at any given time. I mean, the Rockies are huge, they could be a huge range of temperatures. Anyway, my REAL problem is this: if you put a piss warm bottle of beer in a bucket of ice, that label is gonna turn blue long before the piss inside is even close to being far enough away from 98.6 degrees to drink it. Am I being nitpicky here? Anyway, about 15 minutes later, the same girls walked around giving away t-shirts to anyone drinking Coors Lights....us included. I was having a hard time telling whether they knew they had already given us the beers for free and they just didn't care or if they were really that vapid. Either way you slice it, my laundry schedule just got extended one more day...but for the record I opt for vapid.

Luckily, the Beer Garden has a halfway decent selection of some more craft-y beers. I indulged in bottles of Lagunitas IPA as well as a Rogue Dead Guy as we racked up point after point in trivia, eventually coming away with a victory and a $35 gift cert. I have to say though, the doorman helped us out by telling us what movie Reginald VelJohnson (the dad from Family matters) played a cop in...it was Die Hard. It did take us at least four or five repetitions of him saying Die Haaaahd before I realized that he was actually speaking English, but we were grateful for the help nonetheless. All in all a good night that more or less paid for itself which is about as much as you can ask for from a place with that many TV screens.

&Ry

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE you needed help with the Reginald VelJohnson question. I mean, COME ON!

-'Wrence

KGBrews said...

"Welcome to the party, pal!"

Anonymous said...

"Did I doooo thaaat?" - Steve Urkel