Thursday, July 10, 2008

A mustard of our own

After getting back from Martha's Vineyard on Saturday night, I headed on up to Camby to hangout/beerhave in 'wrence's driveway. I arrived to find the glasses filled with ale and a driveway populated by two bros. One was 'wrence and the other was Man Saun. Man Saun and I were wearing the same sneakers and all was right in the land.

I don't quite remember all the beers being consumed, but I'll give it a shot. We had 'wrence's IPA, my heffe, and...ummmmm.....and....errrr...I'm not sure what else. I mean I had a store-bought 22oz bottle of some farmhouse style whose name escapes me at the moment. Man this post sucks huh?

Anyway, we finished our drinking and ambled on down Cambridge Street to Atwoods. For a Saturday night, the place was dead. It was kind of a bummer. No people and no live music, which was unfortunate. We ordered up a round...I had the DFH 90 Minute IPA, 'wrence had some raspberry something or other and Man Saun had a Cream Ale. There was some initial confusion about who got what...'wrence didn't think his pint was the one he ordered and much cross-tasting occurred before it was confirmed that the order had in fact been filled correctly.

For eats, we ordered sweet potato fries which came in a big paper cone with what looked like a delectable dipping sauce. The sauce was a creamy white and looked like straight-up mayonaisse. All of us being inclined to try different things on our fried potatoes (sweet or non) , we dipped into this concoction with aplomb. We didn't speak about what we tasted, but we all dipped and dipped again trying in vain to distinguish what the hell was in this stuff. It swiftly became apparent however that this shit was vile. I turned the little cup of this crap upside down on a saucer, ripped off a piece of napkin and wrote "This shit sucks" on it...I affixed this note to the bottom of the condiment cup and showed it to the bartendress. She seemed amused as she told us that it was in fact "Banana Rum Curry Mayo." What a fucking godawful idea. Now I know what that shit taste was. She took the thing into the back to show the cook and then came back to tell us that if we didn't like it, to make our own. So on the back of a napkin we sketched out a recipe for a dipping sauce that would work. Here's what we came up with.

1/2 part Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
1 part Honey
1 part Dijon mustard
drizzle in 2 parts oil

It was basically a modified honey mustard dressing recipe. We never expected the bartendress to return from the kitchen with a cup full of the stuff prepared precisely to our specifications. I have to say the stuff was pretty damn tasty. Anyway, we got the sense that the staff was pretty amused with us and this was only confirmed when the cook came out to shoot the shit. Turns out no one likes the sauce and it is only on there because the last chef created it in some kind of hallucinogenic rage. The cook also confided that he preferred a sauce that was basically just cream, whole grain mustard, and dijon mustard. He made us some of this as well and it was really fucking good in my opinion. He also gave us a full pint of our own concoction to take home. I am pretty sure it is still in 'wrence's fridge. And THAT was our Saturday.

&Ry

No comments: