Sunday, May 3, 2009

Ch. 4 - wherein our hero scalds himself whilst topless

So, I brewed today...seemed like a decent time to make my quasi-annual return to the blogosphere. The recipe was a modification of a wheaty blonde ale I made a couple of years ago that I remember coming out well.

The LHBS trip to get the 'gredients for this sumbitch was uneventful. The Saturday staff at the place is downright frightening though. You got the dark haired bug-eyed guy with the excessive neck/back hair and then you have the fat comic book store-ish guy who yesterday was wearing a black cutoff denim jacket with some kind of weird logo on the back and nothing else underneath. just this weird biker vest. They both wanted to chat and I was not able to even approach the level of geekitude present despite my best efforts. Afterwards I got a carnitas burrito from Ana's in Davis Square.

So after an evening out celebrating the Celtics win and checking out the newest incarnation of the Littlest Bar (which is like three times the size of the original although surprising cozy and very enjoyable), I got up this morning and threw on my pajama pants to start a brew day. The haze must have really been clouding my mind because this was an especially goofy brewsesh very much in the Mulderrig Juncque Show tradition.

Examples:
1. I have to use the hose-thingee to fill up my big brewpot because it doesn't fit under the faucet in the sink. So instead of standing there with my hand on the fucking thing, I rigged it with a rubber band to keep the button down. I of course forgot to take it off and the next time I turned on the faucet I got blasted with freezing cold water. I took my shirt off then and have yet to put another one on. This was at least 9 hours ago.

2. My dad gave me one of these for Christmas. He likes giving hokie presents like that. And as cheesy at it seems, I have found myself using it a lot when brewing and picking up big hot pots and shit. Except today, I misplaced it and couldn't find it. So when I was filling up my lauter tun, aka the bottling Bucket, I had to do it with just an oven mitt...topless mind you. Anyway, I must have had the DTs or something because as soon as I picked up the pot I had a feeling that something was gonna go wrong. Sure enough, I spilled a good amount of boiling hot water and gave myself a first degree burn on my left arm. Cold water was applied liberally throughout the day and I think I am going to survive.

Those were really the big two fuck ups today. The rest of the day was just punctuated my droping more shit than I usually do and just being a tad on the absent-minded side. All in all though, I have to say, it was a pretty easy brew day and the little guy is resting in the carby right now.

Here is the recipe for those interested:
6# British Two Row
3# Wheat
1# Golden Promise (never used it and decided to throw a little in there. I don't expect much though because further research tells me that it is basically a lighter base malt so maybe I'll use it for my third annual heffe which will be forthcoming.)
1/4 oz Saaz (60)
1/4 oz Saaz (30)
1 oz Saaz (0)
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

&Ry

3 comments:

Bros11 said...

Ry - your brewday blundering always gives me hearty laugh. Glad to hear you brewed though, and good to see you posting on here again.

CBC Saturday?????????????

-Wrence

Ry said...

I am hopeful that i will have enough of my finals done to be able to make it to CBC. I THINK I'll be ok. Just can't say for sure at this point really.

Burke said...

I'm mad at you for celebrating the Celtics win. You're such a chowder now. Have you gotten your "Time to Make the Donuts" t-shirt and Youk fan club hair clippers yet?