Monday, May 11, 2009

Comps Shmomps

As I have mentioned before, I am at this point in my life a student again. Before I complete the masters program a year from now, I will have to pass an exam known as the Comps...short for comprehensive exam. The way they work is that you get an e-mail with five questions on Friday morning at 9 am. You have until Monday morning to write two ten page essays out of the five questions. The questions themselves are drawn from some of the core courses that most people have to take.

Now, if you are a person you know that sometimes people can get themselves all worked up into hysterics over shit like this...and they do. People in my program love telling horror stories about how bad the comps are and shit. I just figured that it was legit and that it was probably purely reasonable to get so nervous about something.

Now, what does this have to do with me at this point in time? You see, tonight I finished my last final for this semester. I had two take home finals which were required to be 8-10 pages in length apiece. Despite the fact that I received both exams last Tuesday, I didn't look at either until Friday morning and managed to bang both of them out over the weekend. And that's not all, I actually managed to get sufficiently drunk both nights this weekend while writing 20 pages and not acting like a little bitch about it. Friday night went a-like this: wrote a ten page paper during the day, went out and drank a pitcher, came home and passed out at 10, woke up at 12:30 and couldn't fall back asleep because my hangover was already kicking in, watched the new Real World/Road Rules challenge, watched Gaylord Perry's 300th win on the MLB Network, climbed back into bed at 5:30 and finally got another 4 hours of sleep. Saturday was 6 more pages, beers with 'wrence and Bones at CBC, going home only to get dragged back out to a bar until closing time...woke up with another hangy today, watched the mets, went tyo mothers day dinner at Fugakyu, came home and banged out four more pages.

Now, if I can manage that in a weekend now....when all the chips are on the line and I will be a lot less tempted to drink in between, I really don't see the comps as being that big of a problem.

No comments: