Sunday, May 31, 2009

A place in Jersey I actually like

Today was so nice, and my hangover just within range of being manageable, I decided to take the new wheels and get out of the city for a bit.

Yesterday, right after finishing up tours at the brewery, I met up with another Hartwick alum Scott (Snotty) at Justin (Little Monkey Boy)'s restaurant, the Kite and Key. The place is still sort of new I think, and pretty nice. They have a great beer selection, heavily leaning on local stuff just as most of the bars around here tend to. Justin is a french-trained chef who's used to working in fine dining environments, so he's sort of a fish out of water running a pub kitchen, but he's definitely dropping of bit of the haute into this joint. I mean, I've never had oysters with fresh roe; or escargot; or this crazy french thing wherein meat is braised, then pureed in a blender with duck fat added, then molded into little rounds which are then browned in a saute pan (I can't remember the actual term J used when describing this), in a beer bar before. This stuff was off the hook, and I don't even use that phrase. For reals. It also helped that Snottty & I didn't have to pay for any of this stuff. Score.


Then today I headed east into the Jerz and found this nice state park, which turned out to be quite beautiful. It is about halfway to the coast, and the turf there starts to look almost like Cape Cod. They even had white cedar swamps and a cranberry bog like out on the Cape...well done, Jersey. It turns out that this whole part of the State is actually some kind of National Reserve, so there is not much in the way of houses, shopping centers, or other typical crap like that which seems to be everywhere you look in the state. There are some nice hiking/biking trails which I hit up, and a few ponds for submerging yourself. I'll definitely be back here often this summer. Oh, and since I was all the way out there I continued east after this until I hit ocean.

So now I am feeling the effects of all this activity and sinking deeper and deeper into a comatose haze which I am certain will envelope me completely for the next 12 hours or so. Work tomorrow doesn't start for me until 1 so I plan on chillaxing like you read about until then.

Peace

-Wrence

4 comments:

KGBrews said...

Dude, Monkey Boy is a French trained Chef?!?! Crazy...I rememeber that dude. Lomo got all pissed at him once because he tossed his salad...haha, not like that, but an actual real salad, that he had shaved parm on.

Bros11 said...

Haha! Was that memory from Oneonta or from somewhere else? Yea, Justin turned out to be a fantastic chef...when you come out we'll go to his place.

KGBrews said...

I think it was Oneonta...but may have just been a story Mike was telling.

Ry said...

i always get mad when people toss my shaved parmesan...but i am ok when they toss my salad